Community Service Ideas for Your Family
Completing community service projects with your family is a great way to teach everyone at an early age how to have a lasting impact on the lives of others by simply giving of your time and resources. There is an abundance of opportunities all around you that you might not have even thought of as being a community service idea.
As busy parents in today’s world with school, sports, and other extracurricular activities, it can be very hard to try and squeeze more things into the already packed schedule. However, there are so many benefits to teaching kids that the world is so much bigger than themselves.
Benefits of Community Service Projects
There are many benefits to completing volunteer work in your local community. Not only does it make a positive difference in the lives of the people you are helping, but it can be a life-changing experience for the one who is doing the volunteering.
This can also present a great opportunity to spend some quality time with your whole family as you all lend a helping hand to work towards a common goal of making the world around you a better place and loving others along the way. Time is one of the most important gifts you can give.
Grab your family members, your youth groups, your 4H clubs, your ball teams, and anyone else you can think of, and find a fun way to get active in your local community and provide a great service to those around them!
Examples of Community Service Ideas
There are so many different ways to get involved in community service projects. We recommend putting some of your Co-Op products to work not only to bless your own table but also those around you!
Here are a few of our favorite examples of community service ideas that can be done anywhere in the country.
- Make birthday cards and deliver them to your local children’s hospital
- Put your Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough to use and bake up some cookies and put together care packages for your local fire department, police station, ambulance barn, and local hospital
- Use your Gluten-Free Baking Variety Box to cook up a mix of goodies and donate them to your local food pantry
- Check out volunteer opportunities that are available at your local homeless shelters or a soup kitchen nearby. These are perfect for lending a helping hand where it is often most needed.
- Look into starting and upkeep a community garden that teaches people how to grow food as well as offers healthy and fresh options for those who might not be able to get it otherwise.
- Organize a food drive or bake sale and encourage your kids to look into a nonprofit organization that they can support with donations and proceeds
- If you are looking for ways to support our troops, be sure and check out out soldiersangels.com!
A great local organization that we like to support here at the Co-Op is the Red Barn Academy! We were able to do a food drive over the holiday season to supply them with a load of fresh and tasty meat, and we hope to continue the partnership going forward!
Open Up Conversations With Your Kids on Community Service
Kids of all ages will be looking for even more volunteer ideas once they get a taste of how good it feels to help those around them. Be sure and keep conversations open and encourage them to talk with you about their experiences.
The next time that you are looking for a volunteer opportunity, remember that it can be as simple as delivering a card or plate of cookies or can be as extreme as helping build a house! It’s not the size of the project that truly matters but the heart of the people who are putting in the time to help those around them.
We are always looking for Volunteers here at the Co-Op! While not the exact same as the examples we went over in this article, it could be a fun way to get the ball rolling, and you might even connect with other volunteers that have other projects you could get involved in!
If you are interested in exactly How the Co-Op Works or want to become a VIP Member, please reach out with any questions or to find out more about us! We love providing great products and building stronger families and communities along the way!